Monday, January 18, 2010

Testing God - Post Two

Testing God – Post 2

There’s this horse called The Unbelievable. He’s a racehorse, and he loves his job. But he’s got a hobby, too, which is straightening me out.

UB, (one of the many monikers for this horse) has issues, just like me. But UB is the vehicle God choose to finally get my attention. Through UB, God showed me that when I can’t, he can.

Flashback to a day approximately 4 years ago. Jerry and I are standing in the driveway, and whatever comment he made has pushed me nearly to the brink. I believe that he wondered aloud how come I was such a big wimp. He asked at what point, exactly, had I gone from competent and confident around horses to being a big chicken. His words, because they were so true and brought into the open something I had tried for years to hide, cut like a knife.

My response was to come unglued. I began by kicking things, which caused significant pain. That further enraged me, and the F-bomb was dropped. Repeatedly. More rage, and tears, because I had convinced myself that this fear was my own little secret that was evident to no one but me. Hmm…apparently not.

One must understand that horses are absolutely central to my being. They have been my life since the first time I encountered the warm breath of a pony and felt the velvety muzzle nuzzling my hand. (Which, because it was a pony, was followed by the sharp pain of teeth sinking into my flesh. But I digress.)

At this point in the driveway encounter, a psychotherapist would no doubt be having a field day with me. But there was no one present but me and my husband, who had just inflicted on me some bad psychological pain. I’m pretty sure I hated him at that point.

OK…financially speaking, the tithe kitty is starting out with $1000.00. We’re going to pray about where to being spending it. And I’m going to think of something nice to do for Jerry today. Turns out, I don’t even dislike him now. 

Today’s notes: I try to start the day with God, and try to have an attitude of gratitude, giving thanks for all our blessings. I just pray that God will show me something I need for the day, and open the Bible anywhere. Today I landed on Deuteronomy 28: 1-6

If you listen obediently to the Voice of God, your God, and heartily obey all his commandments that I command you today, God, your God, will place you on high, high above all the nations of the world. All these blessings will come down on you and spread out beyond you because you have responded to the Voice of God, your God.

God’s blessing inside the city,
God’s blessing in the country,
God’s blessing on your children,
The crops of your land,
The young of your livestock,
The calves of your herds,
The lambs of your flocks.
God’s blessing on your basket and bread bowl;
God’s blessing in your coming in,
God’s blessing in your going out.

The Message

Seems to me God talks an awfully lot in the Bible about all the blessings he wants to give us, if we will just do as he asks.

No comments:

Post a Comment