Sunday, February 21, 2010

Testing God - Please Let's Just Get Through This Race!


The horse hopped right back on to the trailer, which now had all partitions tied back to leave just one large, open box. The rest of the trip to Turfway was quiet, and as soon as he was unloaded, UB was checked head to tail for any injuries. No one, and certainly not the vet, could fathom how this horse could completely upend himself and be flat on his back in such a tiny space in a trailer with absolutely no ill effects. Not even a scratch.

I arrived at the track a basket case, but determined to not let my nerves get the best of me. I somehow had to make sure that I gave UB no additional reasons to pull any more stunts. But I have to admit, my confidence was fading.

The horse was settled into a stall with his hay net, but nibbling hay was the furthest thing from his mind. The bright lights from the racetrack and the blare of the PA system had UB visibly agitated.

As race time drew closer, UB and I practiced going to our “happy place.” When the call came over the PA to get the horses ready for his race, I vowed to only let scenarios with a positive outcome roll through my mind on the walk over to the paddock.

Getting UB ready took a little longer than normal, as we had to put in his ear plugs and pull the netting over his ears before tying his tongue and putting on his bridle. The finishing touch was his dog collar nose band. Jerry had already run bandages on his legs for support and protection.

Even though someone else was hired to “run” him, (lead him over to where he would be saddled for the race) I had promised UB that I would always be right there with him. In this case, that meant a half mile walk each way in frigid temperatures. Yup, ya gotta love night racing at Turfway Park in the winter.

As the three of us neared the grandstand we had to pass directly in front of the starting gate, at that point standing empty on the track. The tractor used to pull the gate was idling loudly, and UB threw on the brakes. Eyes big, tail up and snorting with nostrils flaring the horse froze, staring at the ominous metal monster casting long shadows in the grandstand lights.

“UB, c’mon man.” I said in my head. “This gate is no different than the one you have no problem with in the mornings. I know you can do this!

As quickly as he stopped UB started again, dancing and prancing sideways past the gate and all the way to the paddock.

The saddling went off without a hitch, the call to the post was sounded and The Unbelievable and his rider were handed off to the pony person to be warmed up.

Thankfully, the distance on this race was a mile, so the start would be directly in front of the grandstand. That meant that (in theory) I would be able to position myself so that UB could see me at all times, right up until the break. A security guard thought differently, however, but he must have had bigger fish to fry, as he only hassled me briefly before heading back inside where it was warm. I circled back around, taking my place just as the line of horses reached the starting gate to begin loading. I searched out Joe’s white and teal polka-dotted silks on UB’s jockey.

As the pony person handed The Unbelievable off to the assistant starter, I noticed that it was indeed Jeremy that would be handling him in the gate. Jeremy quickly slipped his leather lead-up through the small loop in the dog collar noseband.

In one fluid motion, the horse was loaded and the rear doors slammed shut. Jeremy jumped up on the ledge in the stall, perching in cramped quarters and looking for any sign that UB was about to blow. As always, there was shouting and banging, but for UB the sounds were now significantly muffled.

As I was the only person nuts enough to be standing on the grandstand apron on the rail in the whipping wind and freezing cold, UB had no trouble finding me. We locked eyes briefly, and in my head I reiterated to him that he could do this.

I closed my eyes, and immediately the image of UB’s pastoral setting “happy place” popped in. I smiled, because I knew that the scene was coming from him. I could feel my heart beating rapidly, but it wasn’t nearly so terrifying and out-of-control as before.

Blessedly within moments the gates sprang open, and the race was off! I kept my eyes closed, feeling UB beginning to get his act together through the first turn. From where I was situated down on the rail, I lost sight of the field as they disappeared behind the tote board.

I remember screaming (in my head) “Now run, UB!” and he did. In retrospect, I should have waited until I could see where the horses were before giving such forceful instructions.

Jerry was watching the race on a television in the grandstand so that with the split screen view he could see what was happening throughout the race. As the horses rounded the turn and headed into the stretch, I ran to the finish line. I was thrilled to see The Unbelievable finish third!

As soon as the horses crossed the wire, I ran to meet Jerry heading toward where UB would be unsaddled.

“I don’t know what the heck got into him down the backside, but he took off like a rocket.” Jerry said, shaking his head. “That was way too early to make a run like that. There was no way he could sustain that all the way to the wire without getting tired.”

As the jockey pulled up and dismounted, Jerry questioned him about the bold move down the backside.

“I don’t know, boss. I didn’t ask him for nothin’ yet…he just took off!”

I didn’t say a word, and UB, though puffing and blowing and dead tired, looked pretty pleased that he got through the whole ordeal in relatively good order.

And me? I was so happy, you’d have thought we won!

I felt we’d made a tremendous amount of progress. UB picked up a check and I figured the owner would be thrilled. But if Joe was happy, he wasn’t sayin’.

Daily Notes: Some days when I pray, I ask God to show me something I need to see and randomly open my Bible. Today I landed on 1 Peter 3: 8-12:

Summing up: Be agreeable, be sympathetic, be loving, be compassionate, be humble. That goes for all of you, no exceptions. No retaliation. No sharp-tongued sarcasm. Instead, bless—that’s your job, to bless. You’ll be a blessing and also get a blessing.

Whoever wants to embrace life
And see the day fill up with good,
Here’s what you do:
Say nothing evil or hurtful;
Snub evil and cultivate good;
Run after peace for all you’re worth.
God looks on all this with approval,
Listening and responding well to what he’s asked;
But he turns his back
On those who do evil things.

The Message

Personally, I probably do several of the things that God says not to each and every day. Usually several times a day. I especially struggle with the ‘being agreeable’ and ‘no sarcasm’ mandates.

But it is becoming plain to me that while I’m testing God, he’s doing a little testing of his own. This experiment isn’t ‘all about the Benjamins, baby.’ Because the blessings I’m receiving don’t all come in financial form, neither should my blessings to others be only monetary.

I’m trying to get it, Lord. Please be patient with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment