Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Testing God - Post Sixteen

To give the reader some perspective, the price range on Thoroughbred yearlings covers a vast expanse. The least one will spend on one is $1000.00, as most sales companies have now instituted a “minimum bid” designed to thwart the attempts of “killer buyers” to purchase unwanted horses for slaughter for human consumption.

The maximum has been upwards of $10 million. Back at the height of craziness in the 1980’s a yearling brought a record $13 million. I was actually privileged to be at Keeneland to witness that event—a college student working the sales to earn tuition money.

I remember watching, in stunned silence like most everyone else present, that colt being led away after the hammer dropped. I wondered to myself what in the world would ever make anyone pay that much money for a horse. I mean, hadn’t they heard about Murphy’s Law as it relates to equines? And, in actuality, that investment ended up being a bit of a flop.

As an aside, the guy that I had been dating for awhile was standing beside me as this little bit of history unfolded.

“Can we go now? I’m bored.” he wanted to know. And I made a mental note to cross him off my list of possible soul mates.

And, as illustrated by the story above, spending huge sums certainly doesn’t guarantee a champion. In fact, it seems to us that many, many good racehorses have been purchased in the $50,000 - $150,000 price range. In rare instances, a horse like Seattle Slew, bought for a mere $17,000, constitutes the bargain of the century. He won the Triple Crown and went on to be a major success as a stallion, too.

It was another bargain of the century that Joe was after, and the most he spent on any one horse, after the hammer fell on all eleven of Joe’s yearlings, was $12,000. I was not in the pavilion as that particular filly sold, but Jerry told me that he elbowed Joe several times to keep bidding, and in fact had considered jumping in if Joe stopped to get her for us.

To be honest, the last horse Joe purchased was actually purchased by me, as Joe had to get on the road south to tend to his business interests there. He left me with a list of the remaining horses that had passed our inspection that he was interested in acquiring. The amount he was willing to spend on each horse was clearly marked.

It was the last day of the Fasig-Tipton sale, and it was raw, windy and cold. I looked at the last horse on the list, who was also the very last horse in the sale.

“Perfect,” I sighed. “I’ll guess I’ll be here til the bitter end.”


Daily Notes: I mentioned a couple days ago about the water spout episode in our downstairs bathroom. My thought at the time was “well, it could be worse,” and as it turns out, I was correct. Turns out a small leak a couple years ago did much more damage that we realized before we discovered and fixed it. The result necessitates a total gut of that room, sub--flooring and all.

Gotta love old houses—this one (part of it, anyway) was built in 1816 by a colonel in the Revolutionary War. In addition, one of our paddocks contains a sacrificial burial mound of the Adena Indians who lived on our land about 2000 years ago. I think it is interesting that while Jesus was walking around over there, virgins were being sacrificed over here.

We have so much weird stuff happen here, that we frequently joke about the “paranormal activity.” But I’m not blaming my current house problems on haints. Perhaps this is a test. Since God is being so silent about the larger sum of tithe money I’ve set aside (and yes, I am still praying about it!) mayhaps the devil is trying to tempt me.

I spent a little time today in the Mark Victor Hansen book “The Miracle of Tithing.” One of the questions he received was as follows: “I believe the entire universe is God’s “church.” Can I tithe to a non-profit organization or foundation?”

Mr. Hansen’s response was, “Insofar as God is omnipresent throughout the universe, and insofar that he commanded us to be good stewards of the creation he’s provided for us, it’s better to give to non-profit organizations and foundations than not to give at all. Giving is giving. Jesus said, “Give and it will be given unto you.” Jesus did not say where to give.”

Our church has many good ministries, but one of my favorites is called Room in the Inn. We are part of a national program that churches can opt to join. Our church provides a meal, showers and a place to sleep for area homeless men one night a week. This ministry operates November through March each year, and my husband commits a night a month to stay overnight, drive the van to pick up the men, etc. We have both been so blessed to meet these guys and become a little part of their lives. Their stories, each different, can be quite eye-opening, and a blessing in themselves. Sometimes I direct our church tithe checks to benefit this ministry. I’m not sure why this ministry calls to us, unless it is that we feel so at home among these guys—maybe because it reminds us of racetrack life!

Oh, that reminds me—it’s almost time to introduce you all to Louie!

No comments:

Post a Comment